What is Calendly?
Calendly takes the work out of scheduling so our customers have more time to work on what’s really important. Our software is used by millions of people worldwide—with thousands more signing up every day. To maintain this exciting growth, we’re looking for top talent to join our team and help shape the future of our product.
Why join Calendly’s Architecture and Data team?
As an Engineering Manager of Data Engineering at Calendly, you have the chance to mentor and grow some of the best and brightest data engineers in the world. This role will work alongside our engineering, data science and product management teams to build a new data platform to support Calendly’s internal and external customers’ needs.
We are seeking a versatile technical leader who relishes the chance to work on impactful technology and can help accelerate our data initiatives and grow our data competency. We’re looking for someone with previous experience building a data engineering team from scratch ideally in a SaaS cloud technology environment. Top candidates bring clarity where there is ambiguity and can work autonomously to research and uncover solutions. If chosen for this role, you’ll be responsible for mentoring, coaching, and planning for the future of your team. At Calendly, you’ll have the opportunity to make a huge impact on the quality and development of this new system that is critical to meeting Calendly’s near term and long-term goals.
Additionally, we prefer experience with agile methodologies. You will be a top candidate if you are a clear communicator, able to use “good enough” solutions to build towards a vision and are highly self-motivated. You also need to be eager to collaborate, exchange knowledge, and pitch in for whatever the team needs to ship new code. We work as a remote-first team.
What are some of the high impact opportunities you’ll tackle?
- Implementing a high-volume data platform linking all aspects of Calendly’s business–an key enabler for Calendly’s future success
- Ensure proper, secure, and scalable instrumentation of data models in partnership with Product, Data Science, Analytics, Engineering
- Manage performance, quality / integrity, and security of data transfer and storage across the data platform
- Identify process improvement opportunities for data intake, validation, mining, and engineering as well as modeling and visualization
- Hiring engineers to build out both new and existing squads for the company, with oversight on all team members that get hired onto the squad
- Enhance the software development lifecycle by applying industry best practices and processes, including planning for future technical needs
- Coach, mentor and onboard new engineering team members
- Ensure the career development, satisfaction, and productivity of the engineers on your team
- Provide input to help us continuously grow and scale
This opportunity is for you if you have/are:
- Experience leading/mentoring a team (bootstrap experience desired)
- 5+ years of overall development experience (Python / Java preferred)
- 5-7 years of experience in a position designing and maintaining data pipelines, data models and reporting on large enterprise data system
- Strong data modeling background and experience with cloud data warehouse tools such as Google BigQuery
- Experience with batch and streaming pipelines, i.e. Apache Spark, Beam
- Experience with orchestration techniques and frameworks like Airflow, PubSub
- Previous experience leading and mentoring teams and driving them toward big goals with consistent execution
- Experience leading Agile/Scrum ceremonies
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, engineering or related field
- Authorized to work lawfully in the United States of America as Calendly does not engage in immigration sponsorship at this time
Bonus if you have experience with:
- Experience with Change Data Capture technologies
- Experience with Google Analytics & “MarTech” stack (Segment, etc)
- Deep knowledge of database internals
- Test Automation
If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the application or recruiting process, please contact us at email@example.com .
Calendly is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Calendly is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.